The Seminars in Neuropsychiatry: www.eratne.net/seminars
Click here for the full list of publications on PubMed (currently only first author displays below, unfortunately)
- by Matthew KangOBJECTIVES: Carer burden in dementia is associated with poor outcomes, including early nursing home placement for people with dementia and psychological distress for their carers. Carers of people with young-onset dementia (YOD) are particularly vulnerable to carer burden. Yet they are often overlooked by clinicians as dementia services are generally designed for older people. We sought to estimate the rate of burden and psychological distress in carers of YOD at a state-wide tertiary service…
- by Warda T SyedaCONCLUSIONS: MB-PLS-C analyses identified multivariate brain structural-cognitive patterns in the latent space that may provide a TRS signature.
- by Hiba BilalCONCLUSION: This study provides an enriched understanding of the unique characteristics of depression in HD, and the attributions that CAG expansion carriers make for their depression symptoms. The themes identified in this study can be used to guide more targeted assessment and treatment of depression in HD.
- A phase 1b open-label study of sodium selenate as a disease-modifying treatment for possible behavioral variant frontotemporal dementiaby Lucy VivashCONCLUSION: Sodium selenate is safe and well tolerated in patients with bvFTD. Randomized-controlled trials are warranted to investigate potential efficacy.
- by Tsutomu TakahashiCONCLUSION: These results suggest that pineal atrophy is a general vulnerability marker of psychosis, while pineal cysts do not appear to contribute to the pathophysiology of psychosis.
- Music and Psychology & Social Connections Program: Protocol for a Novel Intervention for Dyads Affected by Younger-Onset Dementiaby Samantha M LoiPsychosocial interventions targeting the specific needs of people affected by younger-onset dementia are lacking. Younger-onset dementia refers to dementia where symptom onset occurs at less than 65 years old. Because of its occurrence in middle age, the impact on spouses is particularly marked and dyadic-based interventions are recommended. Music And Psychology & Social Connections (MAPS) is a novel online intervention, informed by the theory of adaptive coping by Bannon et al. (2021) for dyads…
- by Conor Owens-WaltonPeople diagnosed with Parkinson's disease (PD) can experience significant neuropsychiatric symptoms, including cognitive impairment and dementia, the neuroanatomical substrates of which are not fully characterised. Symptoms associated with cognitive impairment and dementia in PD may relate to direct structural changes to the corpus callosum via primary white matter pathology or as a secondary outcome due to the degeneration of cortical regions. Using magnetic resonance imaging, the corpus…
- Cerebrospinal fluid Alzheimer disease biomarkers for assessing cognitive and neuropsychiatric symptoms: Expanding the 'toolkit' in the psychiatrist's diagnostic armamentariumby Dhamidhu EratneNo abstract
- Clinico-demographics of people with younger-onset dementia and neuropsychiatric symptoms referred to an Australian dementia support service: A comparison study with older-onset dementiaby Samantha M LoiCONCLUSION: Clinico-demographics of referrals with younger-onset dementia differ from those with older-onset dementia. There were some differences in the characteristics of neuropsychiatric symptoms between younger-onset dementia and older-onset dementia. Our findings have implications for service provision and support for people with dementia at different ages.
- Plasma neurofilament light chain protein is not increased in treatment-resistant schizophrenia and first-degree relativesby Dhamidhu EratneCONCLUSION: Treatment-resistant schizophrenia does not appear to be associated with neuronal, particularly axonal degeneration. Further studies are warranted to investigate the utility of NfL to differentiate treatment-resistant schizophrenia from neurodegenerative disorders such as behavioural variant frontotemporal dementia, and to explore NfL in other stages of schizophrenia such as the prodome and first episode.